I can see the friends and family who know me well, reading that title and going “Eh? What?” as although I probably look a lot older, I will only actually be 43 in July.
So why am I looking forward to being 50?
It isn’t so much as the being 50, but achieving certain things before I reach 50.
A “Fifty things to do before I reach Fifty” kind of post.
Now, for you long term readers you will know that I only really hit my stride in both confidence and happiness in my own self at around the age of 39-40. For many years I hated my size, looks and suffered badly with depression.
Whilst my depression is an ongoing battle for which I take medication, I am looking ahead at getting myself off the tablets and managing my own health and well being.
So the purpose of this post? It is to list some of the things that I want to achieve before I hit the Big 5-0. Some of them may take several years to happen and this is why I am writing about my list now.
I actually started compiling this list on my Birthday in July last year, so I have managed to complete a couple, or am part way into a challenge.
They aren’t written in any kind of order, just a random numbering and my aim is to complete them all in the next seven years. I will hopefully be doing updates as I go along, ticking off the things I have achieved and if there are things that are totally impossible (for health or safety reasons) then I will have a re-think and substitute them.
So, here goes!
- Visit the Opera
- Go on a Girl’s Holiday
Visit Sketch for Afternoon Tea
- Take a cocktail making class
- Abseil down a building
- Write a book
- Take a ride in a vintage car – planned
- Learn German
Publish an article in a Magazine
- Ride the Arcelormittal Orbit slide at the Olympic Park – Planned
- Read ONE non-chicklit book a month
Go on the Eurostar Get my lily tattoo covered up
- Enter Miss Twinwood
- Host a Macmillan Coffee morning
- Swim in an outdoor Lido in London
Model for a Vintage company Blog from Disneyland Paris
- Hit 10K views a month on my blog
- Stop needing anti-depressants
Go to an Alice in Wonderland party
- Go for a ride on a steam train
- Visit 10 foreign Countries in 8 years (So Far St Lucia, Hungary, Czech Republic, France, Poland)
- Go to a concert at The Royal Albert Hall
- “Run” a 5K for charity
- Ride a segway
- Go to Ladies Day at Ascot
- Read Les Miserables
- Go to Oktoberfest
- Take up a night class
- Drink a cocktail at The Shard
- Cycle along the canals in Amsterdam
- Spend a day collecting money for The Poppy Appeal
- Go for a skiing lesson
Go to a stand-up comedy show
- Be a passenger on a motorbike ride – Planned
- Swim one mile in one go
- Go for a girl’s spa day – Planned
- Play the piano in Public
Go to a private members club for drinks
- Learn to make macarons
Go up the Eiffel Tower
- Visit a burlesque/cabaret performance
Hold a snake Ride a Zipwire
- Take a scuba diving lesson – Planned
- Spend some money at a casino
- Attend an outdoors theatre performance
- Take a picnic on a punt down the river in Cambridge or Oxford – planned
- Hold a 50th Birthday party
Now based on the fact that I am petrified of heights AND snakes, a couple of these will be really challenging. I don’t intend to back down from them unless there are reasons beyond my control and I am unable to do them. (for example if I am too heavy for an abseil harness)
Of course if I see something fabulous, or find a new desire to visit somewhere/something I may well swap some of these out for more exciting challenges.
Or I could always wait and do 60 before I am 60…..
Are there any things on here you love? Or are there things you think I should do instead? Let me know and I will consider them!
Till next time,